Today's Thought (s)

Never ever for the sake of peace and quiet deny your own experience.

Live the life you love.

As you get older, you really just want to be surrounded by good people; people who are good for you, good to you, and good for your soul.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Narrow Foot Discrimination


Do you have narrow feet, or do you know someone who has narrow feet?  I'd be willing to bet that you do...  and believe me, the frustration level is high when it comes to cute shoes!

I was born with narrow feet; in fact, have a AAAA heel, so even a narrow pump is out of the question for me unless I want to pay squillions of dollars for it.  But back to the issue of cute shoes and the blatant discrimination against those of us for whom a Medium (apparently the "norm") requires us to wear super-thick socks; but who wants to wear super-thick socks unless the footwear is a boot or bootie?  Yes, I suppose I could include loafers and other assorted flats in that category, but why can't I get a flat that will fit my naked or tights-encased foot without again paying slightly less than squillions?  I revel in my uniqueness, but I want to be able to wear the cute shoes that are available to the masses, too!!  Wah-wah-wah!!

This discussion was brought about when I received an absolutely passion inducing catalog from Aerosoles in today's mail.  Ooohh, the footwear sashaying across the pages caused my salivary glands to spring into action (and that takes some doing when you suffer from Lupus-induced dry mouth)!  But.  Every single pair is sized Medium and/or Wide -- AARGH!!  Torture me, why don't you?  And I really need another pair of black flats.  And there are some really cute ones in the Aerosoles catalog, but THEY WON'T FIT MY FOOT!!


Now, I know that shoe stores like Payless and Thom McAn (does Thom McAn still exist?) depend on volume and sell at low prices, so have no interest in catering to what is probably considered a "niche consumer" in the shoe industry, but Aerosoles shoes are not exactly cheap.  You do have to spend more than a couple of bucks for their product and I am accustomed to paying more for narrow shoes (though it is unfair), so what's the deal?  I can guarantee that my feet are not the only slim ones in America.

Maybe we should rise up and mount a campaign...take to the streets... Down with fascist shoe sellers and all that.  Drop me a line, you like-footed people and sympathizers.  Let's see if we can force the shoe industry to mend their ways and solve this problem.

Shoe equality for all, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping the dialogue going.