Today's Thought (s)

Never ever for the sake of peace and quiet deny your own experience.

Live the life you love.

As you get older, you really just want to be surrounded by good people; people who are good for you, good to you, and good for your soul.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

To Dye or Not to Dye...

I had always looked forward to gray hair, and I vowed NEVER would I dye my hair when the lovely gray began to come in. BUT. What I pictured and what actually happened were two entirely different things! The picture in my mind was a sexy, sophisticated, striking stripe of silver-gray strands gracing my head as I continued to strut my stuff, so to speak.  That is not what happened!  These little sprigs of sproingy gray strands appeared.  EEK!  Still, I had that luscious picture in my head, so surely the reality would meet the fantasy, and very soon.  Fast forward...it ain't happened. Not to worry, though. Instead of sexy, sophisticated and striking silver-gray strands, I decided to rock the walk with a bodacious mocha and blonde 'do; but I'm still hopeful, and expect to wake up to the gorgeous gray at any time!

This post was engendered by an article which stated that a large number of women are afraid to let their hair go gray because they will be considered "old," and subsequently be discriminated against in the workplace... it's that school of thought that men with gray hair are distinguished and wise, but women with the same are somehow instantly transported into their dotage. How horrendous that in the year 2012, women are still fighting to be treated with equity in the workplace, especially over something as superficial as hair color. Gloria Steinem, help!  Somebody needs to see the light.  So, ladies, if you don't want to dye your hair, embrace your gray!  

Now, on the other side of the coin, there are some who don't want to be caught even dead (women and men) with gray hair; and there ain't nothin' wrong with that. The issue here, is choice. No one should be afraid of losing their job if she/he doesn't want to subject their bodies to harsh chemicals.  In that same article, a woman was not only told to dye her hair, but to get a "younger" wardrobe. Excuse you! Said woman would probably be very happy to go shopping if the boss was footing the bill, but only for clothing that she liked and chose.  Wonder if he also suggested new and different undergarments since he wanted younger looking. You know what I mean...

As Russell Simmons says:  "Do you."  There was only one of you created, so live your creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping the dialogue going.