Today's Thought (s)

Never ever for the sake of peace and quiet deny your own experience.

Live the life you love.

As you get older, you really just want to be surrounded by good people; people who are good for you, good to you, and good for your soul.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bathroom or loo?

 I watch a LOT of British television and films, and yes, I occasionally forget the American English (Am-E) translation, if you will, for a particular word; but I feel fairly certain in the moment that if I use the British word,  I will not be understood so I have to wait a few moments for my gray matter to rearrange itself.  After reading an article in the New York Times concerning the apparently huge numbers of people substituting "Briticisms" for Am-E, I was very glad to learn that I am not alone! No longer will I feel that tiny frisson of discomfort when the words of a typical Londoner rather than those of a typical American roll off my tongue. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a coffee and ring my mum. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for keeping the dialogue going.